Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The EYES Have It

During the later part of his life, Claude Monet developed cataracts in his eyes which prevented him from seeing colors clearly. The painter tried various treatments to no avail. In 1923, at the age of 82, he opted to have the lens of his left eye completely removed. Judging by the paintings he produced after the procedure, it may have enabled him to see ultraviolet light. The two paintings you are looking at are from Claude Monet’s 1922-1924 series The House Seen From the Rose Garden. The red and yellow version is painted as seen through his left eye, limited to the wavelengths allowed by his cataract. The painting on the right is deep blue and violet, as seen through an eye with no lens.









Did I show you this before?














We came up on a valley just outside of Ridgway, CO, this fall and I liked the look of this fence at the end of the road.



















Just like I did in yesterday's photos, I decided to see if zooming into the scene would help its composition. I think that it did.



















OK, but which is this landscape framing better than the first one above? I like the fence and road better, but I miss the colors of the first image. While I like this one, I guess I still have to rank it #3.













Do you like this parking sign? Does it worry you that a surgeon can be in and out in 5 minutes?















Not really much to say today. So, go ahead and quit reading now. Anything that I write after the prior sentence isn't really worth your time. So, let's get our Tuesday on.