Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Outhouses and Future Houses and Cursing (I Mean Cursive)

I will admit that I have not written in cursive in years. Even in school years, I used printing and block letters or typing unless I was required to write in cursive. Even so, it strikes me as sad when I see a headline like that shown below. I suppose it is some weird sentimentality.It also makes sense in today's increasingly digital world.






Sure, I've seen photos of them before, but have never really paid them much attention. I am talking about Futuro houses. A Finnish architect designed them in the late 1960s. About 100 were built, with about 60 still remaining. This article gives you a bit more info, and includes a map so you can hunt down those elusive houses for yourself. No, I probably will not take the time, although there are a couple near LA, and a couple near Dallas.
















I truly understand. You get home after a hard day of ... whatever it is you do all day. You want to sit down and veg. And you deserve it. Totally. Laundry and sweeping and mopping can wait until tomorrow. Let's just kick our feet up and watch a little television. You break out the computer to surf while you select your TV program. Suddenly, out of the blue (screen of death?), you come across an article that completely ruins the evening. You cannot even enjoy your TV show. The article is entitled "7 Exercises You Can Do While Watching TV". Is nothing sacred anymore? Now, you have to squat or push-up or wall-sit. Or you could ignore all this healthy advice and just veg.













I looked at this next photo, but not very closely. Well, until I read the caption. I glanced and assumed I was looking at real stairs.






















Somebody had some building skills back in the day.




















I captured these next two pictures at the behest of GRAND#3. He had already been through this ruin with his father, but wanted me to see something. "No, it's not out here. We need to go into the next house. Are you coming?"















I assured him that I was following him, but he wouldn't move until I caught up and held his hand. So, I grabbed that shot above. We went into the building you see in the background and found this.






















You can see that we have entered a one-seater outhouse. GRAND#3 then proceeded to describe using a wooden toilet. You can see from his face that he was enjoying my shock and disgust. "That's gross, right?"

Here is a shot from the drone video of some of Ironton from above. None of these other buildings have an outhouse.













It seems like I thought of something I wanted to share earlier this morning, but I didn't write it down, so I don't know what it was. My time is up anyway. Thanks, as always, for browsing. It is free and you might walk away with a smile on your face from something I shared. It's a Wonderful Wednesday, so let's all enjoy it.

No comments: