Thursday, September 08, 2016

Animals and Flying Babies, but No Warp Drives

Have you ever seen a buffalo in real life? Maybe in Yellowstone? Or a zoo or something? I am going out on a limb and saying, "No, you haven't." Well, at least not in the US. While early American settlers called bison “bufello” due to the similar appearance between the two animals, and the name "buffalo" stuck for the American variety, it's wrong. The American bison (Bison bison) lives only in North America, while the two main buffalo species reside in Africa and Asia. So, the creatures were saw in Bearizona were what? That's correct. They were bison. BTW, that is two bison, one standing in front of the other. It is not a really long animal with six legs.
















What color are black bears? Despite their name, black bears show a great deal of color variation. Individual coat colors can range from white, blond, cinnamon, or light brown to dark chocolate brown or to jet black, with many intermediate variations existing. So, how do you know if it is a brown bear or a black bear? Compared to black bears (Ursus americanus), brown bears (Ursus arctos) usually are larger, have a more prominent shoulder hump, shorter fuzzier ears, and longer, straighter claws. They have a more prominent ridge across the forehead between the eyes. Why is this important? It's not, really. Just trying to impress you with my knowledge of bison and black bears.
















Equestrian events are the only current Olympic events that involve animals. This has not always the case. A shooting event called Live Pigeon Shooting was held in 1900. The objective of this event was to shoot and kill as many birds as possible. While the killing is regrettable, not having animal Olympics is quite the oversight. It could be because Olympic organizers have never been to Bearizona and watched the otters. Here is an example of synchronized otters waiting for the starting gun.
















It could be a long day. Why do I say that? I forgot my smartphone today. I am not sure how I will make it. Perhaps I should drive back home right now and pick it up? No, I will be fine. I leave early in the morning, before MBH gets up. Usually. Today, she woke up a little early, and it interrupted my normal morning routine. I am totally into routine. I lay out my clothes in the evening, place my backpack and lunch bag on the table, load up the morning pills and set out a water. Then, my morning also has its routine of grabbing all those things. Then, this morning, when MBH came into the den, I did not work through my usual steps and now, here I am with no phone. Somehow, I think that I will be OK.

Hey, which one of these women was thinking about babies while the photo was being taken? Or maybe it's just Cupid? Possibly the kid is just a future gymnast playing on a trampoline?























This bike is aptly named.




















What's in a name?


















It's all in the name.
















We've talked before that Star Trek has been around now for 50 years. This article shows us which of the technologies from the show have now become reality, and which are still to be developed. Diagnostic beds? Check. Warp Drives? Not quite yet.

Thanks to all of you for your show of support about yesterday's blog post. I was not sharing to talk about the specific challenges I am facing. Those were mentioned to point out that we so easily overlook all the blessings God has given us and focus in on the minutiae of daily living. I was (and am) saying that I need to focus on thankfulness. How did I do yesterday? Not as well as I would have hoped, but better now that I know I am accountable to each of you. In that regard, I had a meeting with my boss yesterday morning in which I felt she made her points of things I should do in a totally positive way. I understood her reasoning. Did she act differently or did I interpret it differently? I'm not 100% certain, but maybe that doesn't matter. I did lift up a prayer of praise as I left her office.

NLTD (No Longer Teacher Daughter) went to choir practice at a local church last night. That's exciting. She visited on request of the director, a young woman who had been in our home church growing up. I am praying that she liked it enough to stay with it. Maybe we will revisit that church?

And that ends today's time together. I hope to see you here again soon, but for now, make it a Thrilling Thursday.

No comments: