Monday, October 27, 2014

I Do Not Like It, Sam I Am (Not)

I just now got control of my laptop back after being forced to install Microsoft Office 2013. So, it replaced all the Office apps, including Outlook, and I do not like the look OR feel of anything yet. One thing they changed was that all the apps have a similar iconography. I now need to look at the letter in the symbol to see which program is it on the taskbar. And on Outlook, they also changed the way the message preview looks, so it is more difficult for me to quickly scan the From and Subject information. I suppose I will get used to it, but for today, I can fuss.

I told you that MBH and I took a walk each morning. One day, I noticed these flowers in a front yard and grabbed this shot. I do not know what type of flower it is. Sorry.















The same day that I caught the flower photo, we drove down Last Dollar Road. I learned a couple of things when seeking the link. First, that is Wilson Peak in the background. Take a look at a Coors can and see if the icon looks familiar.















Second, there is a ranch along the road where some of the scenes from True Grit were filmed, and that is in this following photo.















Here are some other facts I found about the movie.
Spectacular scenery around Ridgway caught the attention of the director of the 1969 film True Grit, starring Academy Award winner John Wayne as U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn. In 6 weeks, the film crew turned the center of this old railroad town into 1880’s Fort Smith, Arkansas, complete with Hanging Judge Parker’s 3-man gallows. The firehouse now survives as an artist studio, and the livery stable became the post office.

The paddy wagon from the movie sits in Heritage Park on the southwest corner of Hwy 550 and 62. A short walk up Clinton Street, past the Sherbino Theater, leads you to the living quarters of Rooster Cogburn. Be sure to visit the John Wayne themed True Grit Cafe and check out the actor and movie memorabilia.

Head on out on a day trip to find some of the famous movie sites as well as the state’s most photographed mountain scenery. Ten miles west of Ridgway, on Last Dollar Road are the remains of the movie’s family ranch of Mattie Ross (Kim Darby). And to the East, towards Owl Creek Pass, sits the aspen lined valley of Katie’s Meadow – one of the most memorable scenes from True Grit. Pick up your free Movie Locations Guide at the Visitors Center.

Which then led me to a page talking about a 'hanging flume' not far from Ridgway.
From Ridgway, head west on Highway 62 to Placerville. There, the highway becomes 145 – continue to the right to Naturita. Highway 145 becomes 141. Continue on Highway 141 to Uravan and learn about the uranium from this area. Watch for the pull-off and sign for the “Hanging Flume” above the Dolores River. Highway 141 continues to Gateway then drives through the Unaweep Canyon, past the “Unaweep Seep” and the remains of Drigg’s mansion at the foot of Thimble Rock.

And I read about a place called St. Elmo. The folks have seen it, but I don't think I ever have. There seems to be a lot of things in the area that we have not seen. We will need to go back.

You know what else I learned? Plants can tell when they are being eaten, and they don't like it. How could anyone even measure or determine that? The specifics are here.

For now, though, it is back to the daily helping of Clarity of Vision.











The other day, I shared a story that the director of our multi-church singing group often tells between songs in a concert. Today, I found one that he used a few years ago about Chirpy. You can see the whole story here.

I don't have anything else today. This dumb update of my software started me off in a bad way and i don't want to contaminate y'alls mornings. Go. Be happy. Have a good day. Go on, I'll be fine by tomorrow.

No comments: