Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Get the Picture?

Today's first picture is the first one I took on one of our outages. This was on County Rd 5 south of Ridgway. I think the peak is South Baldy.
















And this photographer must have liked those mountains. Oh, I see now that is Preacher Bro.
















Here he is again, stepping in front of my carefully composed shot. Or maybe I moved behind him precisely to catch him taking the photo.























Can that guy not find his own shots? I would ask if you think he is following me, except that we were riding in the same car. Nice color behind him, though. Hey, dude. You are facing the wrong way.
















Hmm. Colorado. Taking pictures. That reminds me of something. I remember! Today's Clarity of Vision.












Did you hear about a comedy club in the UK that is thinking to charge patrons 'by the laugh'? I read it and then saw it on the news, so it must be true.

We had a Chorale concert last night and the director told a familiar story that I wondered if it was true. So, I went home and Googled it, and found the following letter.

"I was in Richmond when my Soldier fought the awful battle of Five Forks, Richmond surrendered, and the surging sea of fire swept the city. News of the fate of Five Forks had reached us, and the city was full of rumors that General Pickett was killed. I did not believe them. I knew he would come back, he had told me so. But they were very anxious hours. The day after the fire, there was a sharp rap at the door. The servants had all run away. The city was full of northern troops, and my environment had not taught me to love them. The fate of other cities had awakened my fears for Richmond. With my baby on my arm, I answered the knock, opened the door and looked up at a tall, gaunt, sad-faced man in ill-fitting clothes who, with the accent of the North, asked:

"Is this George Pickett's place?"

"Yes, sir," I answered, "but he is not here."

"I know that, ma'am," he replied, "but I just wanted to see the place. I am Abraham Lincoln."

"The President!" I gasped.

The stranger shook his head and said, "No, ma'am; no, ma'am; just Abraham Lincoln; George's old friend."

"I am George Pickett's wife and this is his baby," was all I could say. I had never seen Mr. Lincoln but remembered the intense love and reverence with which my Soldier always spoke of him.

My baby pushed away from me and reached out his hands to Mr. Lincoln, who took him in his arms. As he did so an expression of rapt, almost divine, tenderness and love lighted up the sad face. It was a look that I have never seen on any other face. My baby opened his mouth wide and insisted upon giving his father's friend a dewy infantile kiss. As Mr. Lincoln gave the little one back to me, shaking his finger at him playfully, he said:

"Tell your father, the rascal, that I forgive him for the sake of that kiss and those bright eyes."

He turned and went down the steps, talking to himself, and passed out of my sight forever, but in my memory those intensely human eyes, that strong, sad face, have a perpetual abiding place-that face which puzzled all artists but revealed itself to the intuitions of a little child, causing it to hold out its hands to be taken and its lips to be kissed."

Sally Corbell Pickett, Wife of Major General George E. Pickett, April 1865
"The Heart of a Soldier, As Revealed in the Intimate Letters of Genl. George E. Pickett C.S.A."
Pickett, George Edward, 1825 -1875


After I found the above letter, we watched the latest episode of Once Upon a Time. It has Else from Frozen, and it was good. Are you watching it?

Would you pay $3.33 for a single rubber band? No? What if it was cubic? The Japanese have developed a rubber band in a cube shape and are beginning to market it. Go check it out and think of all the ways it would help your life.

I really had to concentrate on what this video was about. They took the themes or memes from famous movies and tried to communicate the essence using stock footage from their own commercial archive. I finally caught up with it midway through and then understood the video. How quickly can YOU get it?

Here is a scary story. The mayor of Houston wants pastors to turn over all sermons about homosexuality. Her office has not commented on why she is requesting that.

Oops. We built a $2M house on a lot we don't own and now have to tear it down. Oops. We built a $680K house on a lot we don't own, but will probably get to keep ours. We did own the lot for our $700K house, but when it fell into the lake, we had to burn it down and pay for cleanup.

I think we've both seen enough links for you to ignore. If I find any more, I will save them for another day. Until then, it's a Wonderful Wednesday.

No comments: