Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Here's Looking At You, Kid, and Me, Too

Stupid dog woke me up at 3am. However, I did remember what was on my mind to tell y'all. I was wondering about the difference in meanings between 'greed' and 'avarice'. Do you know? Isn't that the type of thought you have upon waking up?

Hang on, I want to look them up. Greed is 'An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth'. Avarice is 'the inordinate desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort'. Sounds like the same thing, right? I have an idea. Let's search for the difference between the words. There we go. 'The word “avarice” comes from a Latin root meaning to crave (we get “avid” from the same root), and what’s being craved by an avaricious person is wealth or material gain. The term “greed” refers to another excessive desire for more than you need, but the desire can be for almost anything (food and sex come to mind, but if your aunt collects salt-and-pepper shakers, she could be greedy for ever more salt-and-pepper shakers). So the phrase “avarice and greed” isn’t redundant.' Thanks, Grammarphobia.

If you notice that I more often post photos of landscapes than people, you are correct. MBH usually posts these types of shots in Facebook. Today, though, I decided to give you the group from our CO trip. First, the parental units walking a trail at Silverjack Reservoir.






















And Preacher Bro and his BH at the CO62 photo spot.















Finally, the blog author and MBH in Mountain Village.















Hoverboards are real? Well, a first step towards them, anyway. I will not be investing in them via kickstarter, but maybe one of you would want to. I will not judge you, I promise.

The story of how they were discovered does not make me feel any better about dirty-fingered chemists deciding what is safe to put in my body. Here is the story behind three artificial sweeteners.

Let's continue the bad jokes from yesterday's CoV in another one.













When the alarm went off, the song in my head was 'Boy From New York City' by Manhattan Transfer. I was probably thinking of that because I read that the lead singer and founder of the group, Tim Hauser, died last week. It is also possible that I am just weird and my brain is like an MP3 player on shuffle.

How many of you are wearing 'holey' underwear? How many are wearing 'holy' underwear? The Mormons say they are not, either. It is simply a part of their reminder that they serve God daily. Read the specifics here.

I am out of ideas for the post, so I will go to work and try to survive another day. If I am a survivor this evening, I will watch Survivor with the family. I hope you survive, too. See you soon.

No comments: