Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Thrill is NOT gone

Popular Mechanics magazine must employ some brave people. They have published an article describing why Star Wars spaceships make no sense. They skewer TIE fighters, Droid Control Ships, and others. It was especially painful for me because I thought it was all real.

Here is the recent birthday girl. Judging from the photo, she is either enjoying watching the flame of the candle, or thinking, "What? Is this all I get from this restaurant for my birthday?" This was at one of the places in the African section of Epcot.
















Here we all are standing outside of the restaurant where birthday girl got her cupcake.

















And here is the inside. I have never been to Africa, but it does look like some markets I have seen in Asian countries.

















Did I remind you that Christmas is coming? I could tell because I saw a goose getting fat the other day. Anyway, let's hear from someone who really understands the true meaning of the holiday, Real Housewives of New Jersey star Melissa Gorga.
My kids always get, you know, over-the-top gifts for Christmas. If we couldn't do it, we wouldn't do it. But we can because it's for Jesus' birthday and I'm willing to spend the money.

Awww, yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

OK, I have been around for a while, but I am not this old. On Dec. 17, 1903, Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first successful man-powered airplane flight, near Kitty Hawk, N.C. I only know that because I read it this morning. Why? Do you remember when it happened?

Was there nothing good on TV last night? (Not true for me since last night was the season finale of Survivor. I correctly predicted who that would be. See yesterday's blog). Anyway, if there is nothing on that you want to see, then your tastes must be very specific. Check this chart. It depicts just how many scripted shows are on TV nowadays. And the trend only goes back to 2002. Just think how many more choices there are compared to your youth. This chart does not include reality shows either. We like almost any show that features Alton Brown.


















I read that Michael Jackson's album, Thriller, has been certified 30 times multi-platinum for U.S. sales, marking more than 30 million sales in the States. He is also the most selling artist of all time with over 100 million sales for Thriller worldwide and 1 billion total sales to his credit. The RIAA said this is the first time an artist has crossed the 30X multi-Platinum plateau. That's a lot of sales. Did you buy it? Back then or more recently? If you don't remember the song, you can see the really good video here.



















Do you ever ask Google how to do something? A lot of people do. Here were the top trending "How to" searches in 2015, according to Google:
  1. How to use the new Snapchat update
  2. How to solve a rubix cube
  3. How to get legendary marks
  4. How to play Charlie Charlie
  5. How to upgrade to Windows 10
  6. How to get the new emojis
  7. How to authorize a computer on iTunes
  8. How to hit the quan
  9. How to lose 10 pounds in a week
  10. How to use Apple Pay
Did you ask any of those questions? I did not, although #7 is the closest to the types of questions I ask. I did ask how to copy songs from iTunes on a Mac to iTunes on a PC so I could load them on a new iPhone.

I do not actually have a water softener on the house, but I do hear advertisements on TV and the radio fairly often, so I think about them occasionally.












We have our department Christmas party today. No, that is not true. We have our Winter Solstice Celebration this afternoon. It includes desserts and a White Elephant gift exchange.

Listen, people. Enjoy this season and be kind to someone today. Have a Thrilling Thursday and I will see you soon.

No comments: