Monday, December 07, 2015

The Posts Are Back


74 years ago today, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor naval base, prompting the US entry into World War 2. Amazingly, there are still some surviving veterans who were there that day.

Yes, I was away for a few days at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Thanks for our house sitters for staying over and watching the cat and dog. Thanks for daughter-in-love for planning our trip and acting as tour guide while we were there. Thanks to the family (families) for a great time. Photos will be shared over the coming days.

Here is what Cinderella's Castle at Disneyland on opening day in 1955.



















Here is what we saw at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, in December, 2013. It looks essentially unchanged 58 years after it opened.
























On our first visit to Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom in Orlando, FL, in November, 2015, here is their version of Cinderella's Castle. Yeah, it is a little (OK, a lot) more impressive. I will have some cool, nighttime shots in future posts. You can also see that they moved the Walt&Mickey statue more in front of and closer to the castle.
























At first, though, Walt looked at opening his second park (after Disneyland) in St. Louis, MO. It never got past the design stage, but the plans drawn up are now for sale. It would have been called "Walt Disney's Riverfront Square". The blueprints show some wear on edges, but the condition is rated "very good." They are expected to sell for at least $5,000 to $10,000. I will probably not be bidding on them.

You know that I am a sucker for IKEA hacks. How about some ideas for using a narrow Ribba Picture Ledge in unexpected ways? Things like a bathroom storage, purse storage, a spice rack. You can see the other ideas at the link.

I likes me a good cinnamon roll. Now, Cinnabon is a little much for me, with waaay too much icing on it, but we did have a really good one from a French bakery in Epcot. Today, I came across an article saying we should not eat cinnamon rolls because they are horrible sugar bombs with no nutritional value. Probably true, but I don't eat them very often, so.... We also (according to this article) should not have scones, or Danishes, or muffins, or pecan pie. Again, I know there are healthier choices, but anything in moderation, right? Right?

Want to meet up at Chipotle for lunch today? Yeah, me neither. Nine states with E. Coli issues from Chipotle should be enough to put us all on alert.

Star Wars is coming, my friends. It starts in 11 days. This is an interesting article talking about the movie and Han Solo.

Let's see a Clarity of Vision comic and then get the day underway.












I guess this means it is time to end my vacation and get back to the day-to-day world. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and I have my photos and memories to remember it by. See you soon.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Welcome back!
Man, that Star Wars article was LONG. I didn't really read the whole thing. I ran out of time.
Yes, I'll go see it. But my excitement level is fairly low.