Friday, May 08, 2009

Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat

Not to imply that I ever daydream, but...
On this morning's newscast, the team was talking about fishing somewhere her in the area. That led the weathercaster to remember fishing with his father in 1974, listening to the car radio when "Rock the Boat" by Hues Corporation played. So then the traffic person asked if they remembered "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" from Guys and Dolls. The weather dude started singing it. I think I should have gone into meteorology. He has too much fun.

That led my own easily-influenced brain to remember Korea. What? That's right. When I was there one time, I went over to a community-type theater production of Guys and Dolls. I rode the subway about 20 minutes to get there. Found the theater OK. There were a lot of kids there. While we waited, someone who spoke English asked me if I knew it was only in Korean. I said I knew that, but was familiar with the story and felt I would be able to follow the production. I understood few words, but did follow the story, and they kept the English names. So, they would be speaking unintelligibly (at least to me), then I would here Sky Masterson or another name. It was hilarious. Hey! Why am I telling you this? The song referenced above actually had a repeated word that I understood. It sounds like Ahn-juh, and it is the word for sit down. I thought of it because of the discussion on TV.

I think we are going to a park tonight to play with the girls and listen to live Jazz. I hope it cools down before then.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I do remember Rock the Boat. I do not remember Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat. I have heard of Guys and Dolls, but I couldn't tell you what it is about, and I certainly couldn't follow it in Korean (or any other language for that matter). Actually, I have trouble following many of your blog posts! But I'm sure nobody would vote you off, simply because of the entertainment value you provide to WEBNET (even when we don't understand you)!
Live Jazz sounds fun!