Friday, November 02, 2012

Sick of What?

It seems my lovely wife and I are not feeling lovely right now. I have a serious cough, sore throat, and almost no voice. And she has a stomach problem but could not stay home because the school already has six teachers out today for a conference, so there are no substitute teachers available. Does that mean we cannot keep the GRANDS tomorrow night? Maybe. Does it mean I cannot teach Sunday? Like Kathie today, there are no substitutes ready, so I am sure I will teach. Does it mean we cannot keep the nursery during church? Most likely. We don't want to get anyone sick. Does it mean I cannot sing in the Chorale concert Sunday night? Also fairly likely. We had hoped to catch a movie tomorrow morning. Right now, not likely. AND my doc has not returned my call, so I guess I won't get in this week.

I was thinking to swing by and see the folks today. However, since we don't want to get anyone sick, I think I will not.

Did you remember that I told you that Preacher Bro and Preacher Wife met us in Ouray this year? Each of us took about 750 photos during the week. Here is one of mine capturing him capturing one of his. You can see one of the myriad creeks/rivers falling over rocks behind him. And you can see the beautiful gold mixed in with evergreens all around.

LWW, I did travel to Malaysia many times in the 80s and 90s. I used to stay in Kuala Lumpur, but the plant was in Seremban (SE of KL). I have also been to Melaka, Port Dickson, Singapore, and Langkawi. I attended church with a friend there at least once, but I cannot remember the name of the church. Susheila, if you still read this, remind me where we went.

OK, it is finally time for the profiterole story. When Kim and I traveled to Scotland, we always stayed at the Crutherland House. So, we got to know the staff fairly well. And one of the things that they knew we both liked was profiteroles for dessert (after EVERY meal...even breakfast, I think). Anyway, when we would go out exploring on weekends, they would even leave a bowl of profiteroles and some cream (yes, whole cream) in our rooms if we were away during normal mealtime.

So, one time, the maitre d' decided he would pull one over on us. He brought a huge bowl of profiteroles to our table (apparently their entire night's supply) and had a great laugh at our expense. And it truly was funny since we knew him and the servers. However, when he walked away, I thought of a way to turn the tables. I snuck into the kitchen and asked the cook for another bowl of the same type, but smear it with chocolate and a splash of cream so it looks as if we ate the whole bowl. I also gave them back the original bowl. When the maitre d' returned, he was shocked that we had eaten all of the desserts. We laughed boisterously, as did the kitchen staff now in on the joke. As you might imagine, the maitre d' (I cannot remember his name, so I keep using his title) was embarrassed at his own gullibility and our guile and did not joke with us for several days.

When I met recently with Kim, we remembered this story together. We remembered a time when we were up at the Loch Ness (no monster), drove into Inverness looking for a place to eat, did not find anything, and drove (sped) three hours down to the Crutherland and had our usual meals there, including profiteroles.

Whew. I ended up with a whole lot of words for you today. Sorry. I know you are hoping I get well quickly just so I will not spend so much time sharing, huh? OK, have a great weekend. Do NOT get sick, OK?

2 comments:

Lindsay Ward said...

I'm confused on why you and Kim were traveling to Scotland and where was Preacher Bro and Kathie?

Lindsay Ward said...

Wait, I think I got it, Kim is a colleague. I was confused b/c you were talking about being in Ouray with Aunt Kim recently and I thought that was when you remembered this story. Whew, glad I solved that mystery!