Thursday, December 06, 2012

Don't Let Your Eyes Get Bigger Than Your Stomach

Have you ever heard that phrase? Growing up, our Dad would always caution that before we would eat at a cafeteria on Sunday after church (probably other times, too, but that is what sticks in my mind). Of course, he was saying only choose the amount of food you will eat and don't get enough to be wasteful. In other words, don't get ahead of yourself.

I need to apply the same advice to myself in my job search. Why? Well, I had a phone screening interview with ASU yesterday. I thought it went well. At the end, the Associate VP told me they would finish phone interviews this week and begin face-to-face interviews net week or so, but it could be 2013 because a lot of team members take off for the holidays when the students leave. However, less than an hour later, they called back and asked it I could come in next Wednesday. So, they must have liked my answers. However, this doesn't imply anything yet. When I was an interviewer at Apollo, we usually only hired 1/3 of those that we brought in. However, it does make me feel better about myself and my future employability.

Today's thought-provoking idea from the Bible study in Sunday School:
As Jesus looks out over the religions of the world—including the Judaism of his day—he sees people who are laboring under heavy loads to earn the favor of whatever deity they believe in. He did not come to replace that God-appeasing load with another one. He came to carry that load and call us to himself for rest. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my
yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matt. 11:28-30). Make no mistake, there is a yoke and a burden when we come to Jesus (there would be no demands if this were not true), but the yoke is easy, and the burden is light. But perhaps it’s not easy and light the way we think it is. Jesus also said, “The gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life” (Matt. 7:14). The reason it is hard is not because Jesus is a hard taskmaster. It’s hard because the world is a hard place to enjoy Jesus above all.

Sis brought her photo book of a recent trip to Canada to our Survivor gathering last night. Wow, I really liked the format. She made it using Mixbook, so I will check that out before I finish my Fall Trip book. My only problem with it is I must upload the photos before creating a book and then upload new ones if I decide to add them. A plus, though, is it also offers stickers, dust covers, etc. My daughter-in-love uses Picaboo, but that site also requires me to upload the photos and it only just now started being available to Mac users. I am currently designing my book using iPhoto since it pulls immediately from iPhoto on my machine, but it is does not offer page customization. My last two books, though, were from Blurb, which lets me build the book on my machine and has total page customization capabilities.

Speaking of my sister, did I tell you about her new canvas photo diptych. The company sent her two copies of the same side at first. When she contacted them to get the other half, they sent her the other half, and another set of both side. So now, she has two full sets and one copy of one half. That should be enough, don't you think? Still, the company we used, Canvas4Life, seems really committed to customer service.

While we were in Flagstaff, we took a hike before NPX started. Here, you can see Bella telling me where we are on the hike.

And Kendall telling me that she has no idea where we are.

OK, I need to hit the shower and start some laundry before I have to go in to get me fingerprint card application redone. The state rejected the first version because my ridges were not distinct enough. Can you imagine? 

No comments: