Sunday, September 18, 2005

Upside the Head with a 2x4

Have you ever had one of those where someone hits you upside the head with a 2x4 (which actually only measures 1-3/4 by 3-3/4...what's up with that)? Anyway, today was one of those days. You probably guessed I would say that, or else the whole intro paragraph would have been nonsensical.

OK, so before one of our songs today, a trio did a brief skit. The man in the group talked about having lost his job last week, with a wife and kids and mortgage and bills to manage. OK, I am listening. This led into the Phillips, Craig and Dean song "It's Amazing," which says:
"Who am I that You are mindful of me? That You hear me when I call. Is it true that You are thinking of me? How you Love me. It's Amazing. I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God. He calls me friend."

It's true for me. Who am I that he would think of me? OK, the sermon was pulled from John 15:4-9. We started rating ourselves on the fruit of the spirit. Superior, Pretty Good, or Need Improvement. Of course, I need improvement in all of them.

Finally, we reached the verses saying "If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you." "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now abide in my love." The speaker noted that the painting Creation of Adam is really about God wanting to touch and love His creation. Amen.

I know that doesn't mean he will give me a job because I say I want one. What it says...to me... is if I seek Him, I will know how to pray for my future. My purpose is to do what a branch is supposed to do: Abide.

1 comment:

Brenda Walker said...

Thanks Uncle Randy, I have been struggling to abide as well. With Brenda having lost her primary job and us moving into a house soon. I just have to keep telling myself the same thing. Thank God for His promise to give us no more than we can bear!!