Thursday, November 20, 2014

Zooming, Driving, and Flying

For today's photo review, let's zoom out. I will start with a close-up of what turned out to be an old boarding house for the American Nettie Mine in the late 1800s. I will then show two more photos, each one zoomed out a little bit more. When I took them, I actually started zoomed out and then went a little closer each time. So, when I was looking at them, I wondered why I took the first one. What could I have been looking at? Then, when I saw the closest shot, I remembered. He actually saw it from our cabin porch first and let the investigation which involved a bookstore owner and a local mine expert.
























Can you find the first shot within the second? Look in the upper left.























Again, look near the top left to find the boundaries of both the previous photos.

Ready for a Stupidest Things calendar page?
11/15/14 General Tso's double delight: chunks of chicken and jumbo shrimp urinated and fried until crispy. Then sauteed w. our chef's special sauce.
I think I am glad they did not describe the 'special sauce'.

Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is currently about 300 million miles away from the Earth, whizzing around the sun at a speed of 84,000 miles an hour. The Rosetta spacecraft was launched in 2004, and has spent the past decade traveling over 4 billion miles in order to match the comet’s orbit. To get in sync with the ancient, misshapen hunk of ice and rock, Rosetta swung around the Earth three times to pick up speed, and spent nearly three years in hibernation due to its distance from the sun. Finally, in August, it fell into stride with the comet, which is less than 3 miles across. I think that is truly amazing. So, I covered it in a Clarity of Vision comic.












We had our team event yesterday and went to a driving range-ish place. We had a really good time. You hit the ball into one of the big circle nets and get points. I won the first game and Richard won the second. here is a view similar to the one we had. The big arrow in the shot wasn't really there, but if you swing in that direction, you are almost assured to land in a scoring circle, even if it is because the ball was rolling.










Would you women readers be willing to go makeup-free for any length of time? What about stopping shaving your armpits or your legs? This Australian woman has done it for over a year and has no plans to start back. MBH, please don't do this.

Is a Billy Graham commentary from 1955 still relevant? I say yes. A lot of TV programs and music seem very antiquated, but this seems worthwhile and appropriate. Do you agree?

Do you know which burger establishment holds sway in your neck of the woods? Analysis of 40 million Foursquare users shows what they have chosen. Is the one for your area the one you primarily choose? Notice they did not analyze veggie burgers. What's up with that?

"Alexa, I want to hear some Pentatonix". I might say something like if I had the new Amazon Echo in my house. Yahoo! really likes it and talks about its features here. The list several 'pro's and zero 'con's. However, at $199, it is still a pricey gadget that I would not actually purchase.

Black Friday is coming up next week. Will you be shopping that day? What about Thanksgiving evening for the Pre-Friday sales? I will not, and it seems I am in the majority. According to a recent survey, 86% of us do not shop on Thanksgiving, and 72% don't do so on the next day, either.

Do you ever look at art sites for ideas on either photos to take or ways to present your own art? I do, as I have shared before. So, this morning, I was searching the sites for 'triptych' and thought I would share a screenshot with you. Which type of multi-picture arrangement is most pleasing to your eyes? Do you like a single scene across the panels like most of these are, or a related grouping like Poppy Nine Patch? My favorite of the groupings shown below is the last one, Another Kekua Sunrise. The Venice one is OK, but I prefer the more traditional layout of three tall panels.

















Listen, we both need to get Thursday out of the way, so let's start now. Go have a Thrilling Thursday and check back on Friday.

1 comment:

Keith said...

That is the boarding house for the American Nettie mine.