Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Peek At Some Peaks

What? Another project-themed CoV? Isn't that, like, three days in a row? Yes. Yes, it is.





















Sometimes, maybe more often than not, we see the gorgeous peaks in southwestern Colorado and do not know which is which. Let's see if we can correct that a little bit. First, looking south on Last Dollar Road, we see Mt. Sneffels (14,150 ft high).






















And next, looking south from just north of Ouray, we find Mt. Abrams on the right of the photo (12,801 ft).















Let's check out Chimney Rock (you have to guess which one that is) and Courthouse Mountain (10,335 ft) on the right. These peaks are just east of Ridgway.















Just north of Silverton (and to the right in this photo) is Kendall Mountain (9,540 ft).















Are you happy that political ads are over? Are you feeling some withdrawal? Wouldn't you like to have seen some honest ads? Check out this one for "Gil Fulbright".

Did you know that a spacecraft, Rosetta, is scheduled to land on a comet tomorrow? You can read a little about it and check out a selfie that the spacecraft took of itself and the comet at this link.

More funny business signs:
Outside a Muffler Shop: No appointment necessary. We heard you coming.
Sign on the back of another septic tank truck: CAUTION - This Truck is FULL of Political Promises

More patient hospital charts:
Patient had waffles for breakfast and anorexia for lunch.
On the second day, the knee was better, and on the third day, it disappeared.

I get a daily email from scrapgirls.com that I signed up for after seeing a cool way to present a photograph one time. It is a digital scrapbooking site that sells tools to build the layout. Anyway, I saw one today that i thought was cool enough to share. I tried to find it on the site, but maybe it is not posted yet. So, I pulled some explanatory verbiage and the layout from the daily sales email.

The designer explains: "The steel support beams in this abandoned workshop create an interesting pattern against all the horizontal lines of the scaffolding and the artsy randomness of the graffiti. I opted for a layout that allowed me to really highlight the photo with the beams, using Blending modes to portray the colors as they appeared on a sunny day as well as capture the grunge of this neglected industrial space. By using the frame, the sideways title, and the elongated text box, I reinforced the use of lines in my layout, which in turn draws the eye back to the photo and those eye-pleasing beams."





















It's all well and good to understand what she was trying to do. The question is, do you like it and why? For me, I like the explanatory remarks inside the layout that become part of the image. I like the straight lines of the building that are suddenly covered by the watercolor image of outdoors and greenery and sunlight, and yet, it bugs me that I cannot see more of the interior space. So, that juxtaposition really intrigues me. So, why don't I do this type of scrapbooking on my images? I should, but I haven't built up a toolset, and I don't usually spend this much time on one. It takes imagination to have a concept on which to build. If I did one, it would be like on the Mt. Sneffels photo above. I would put the mountain name and its elevation in fall colors across the bottom, but then what? Do you have any ideas? What type of scrap pages do you like?

What would say the predominant color is in the scrapbook layout above? Green? Blue-gray? Something else? NPR has an interesting article that shows just how subjective our perception and definition of color really is.

Here is an interesting look at how John Lennon documented his life through a number of his songs. How many of them are familiar to you?

You think you know Frozen? Here are 15 facts you may not have heard before. I know there were some new ones that I didn't know.

And with that, my friends, we will call it a day. Well, let's actually call it a morning and get the rest of the day started now. Thanks for making it this far in the post.

2 comments:

Keith said...

What I didn't know about Frozen was that the songs in it apparently document John Lennon's life....
(You might want to double check that link.)
Thanks for the blog.

CrazyUncle said...

Link corrected. Thanks for the help.