Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I Think I'm Drinking Decaf

Man alive! I am really struggling with this week's assignment in Java class. We are supposed to write a paint program. The new concepts are to use mouse events that tell you when someone clicks or drags or whatever. OK, fine. I got that working. I have a central drawing space. I've added the ability to choose new colors and 3 different brush sizes. I cannot get the clear button to work, nor can I figure out how to add buttons to create shapes on the canvas. I've searched through public code on the WWW, but haven't gotten there yet. The button choices only show up if the window is resized. Puzzling.

I hope we have the stinking test this week.

I added a widget to display Java jobs in my area to My Yahoo. That can either serve to motivate me or disappoint me. We'll see.

My verse of the day says "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." This definitely shows that His ways are not my ways, and His timing is not mine. How much perseverance do I need? I guess a little more, huh? Still, Craig, thanks for reminding me that we are certainly blessed in so many ways. Much worse things could be going on in our lives than just the loss of a job. We still have health, a Christian family, beautiful granddaughters. I appreciate all your prayers.

No photos right now. I've got to get back to my coffee program. I thought it was decaf, but thinking about how to solve it kept me up last night. Ha ha.

1 comment:

Craig Weeks said...

The button choices only show up if the window is resized.

I assume that resizing the window causes some kind of paint message/command to be issued for the main window and all its children. Can you do that right inside your code at just the right place? Understanding the needed instruction is not so hard. Knowing just where to put it ... that's why they will pay you the big bucks.

My previous comment was not so much "We have a lot to be grateful for" (though we do) as "A world broken by sin leaves much to be desired. Much."