Tuesday, January 27, 2009

RIP William Hagle

Kathie and I are back from the difficult weekend of burying her father, William Hagle. I was lucky to have been in his family for 32+ years. He was a funny and interesting guy. I loved him as a father and will miss him.

We both started off nervously. However, after the flight, we went over to her brother Jim's house. As we talked with Jim, his wife Sue, and Michael, their son, and Kathie's sister Kay, we started telling "Pa" Hagle stories. That loosened us all up. Once we reached Corsicana and sat with the body, more stories came out. By the time of the viewing, everyone seemed to feel more comfortable. Kathie told a story about a time when we were all in the car going to a mall. Pa and Grandma Hagle got into a disagreement about which direction we should travel. Pa felt he had the final answer when he commented, "I'm not talking about how to get there (with the emphasis on the word how). I'm just talking about how to get there (with the emphasis on the word get)."

The next day was the graveside service. The preacher came from FBC, Corsicana. He did a good job using scriptures from Psalm 62 and 1 Corinthians. However, we all laughed when he added a quote at Jim's request. It is from The Shootist, a novel by Glendon Swarthout and a John Wayne movie. "I will not break. I won't tell anybody what a tight I am in. I will keep my pride. And my guns loaded to the last!" All agreed that described Mr. Hagle very well.

Both events were well attended, by family from the DFW area and the Houston area, and friends from the DFW area and the Corsicana community. It was very nice that they all took the time to support the family and pay final respects.

I realize how lucky I am to still have both parents. Please pray for the Hagle's as they come to terms with not having any living parents. Kathie is thankful for brother's family and her sister's family. Jim has been a superstar for years, as he was the only one there in TX that could help take care of both Louella and Bill as they got sick. A special thanks to Jim for that.

Here is my only photo of both.
From * A Legend In My Own Mind *


Here is the link to his obituary.
http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=223153&fh_id=10576

No comments: