Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nothing Beats Bang! Yet

For the last 3-4 weeks, I have been borrowing games from the crew at work. Many of them are fun, but so far, nothing can beat Bang! Of course, Bang! is the Sheriff, Deputy, Outlaw, Renegade card game. Dad ordered it online and received confirmation that he would receive a copy while many others missed this opportunity. They are already sold out. Even faster than the Cardinals playoff tickets, I think (and they only took 6 minutes). It has been out of print for years, so he is lucky.

What else have we tried? Loot, a pirate game. Fluxx, a game where the rules change depending on what cards have been played, as does what it takes to win (I've heard there is a Monty Python version). Bohnanza, a bean-planting, trading card game. Ticket to Ride, a card game that takes you on a train trip across America. Kung-Fu Fighting, a card game that lets even me have hands as fast as lightning.

The guys that play during lunch time at work still have others that I have not seen play, nor have I borrowed them. Which ones have I seen them play? Bang! is easily their game of choice. I asked for that this weekend, but the guy that owns it was taking it. What is up with that? Anyway, Bang! is number one. Number two? Ticket to Ride card game (there is a Ticket to Ride that is a board game that they also play sometimes, but they seem to like the card version a bit more). Kung-Fu is number three (again, this is ratings based on how often I see them play it). Others that I have seen are a Zombie board game, Carcassonne, a medieval city-building game, and two or three others that I cannot remember.

Kyle and Lyndsay are into Pit, but it didn't grab me the other night. We play Scattergories with the folks sometimes. And Kathie wants us to get some Mexican Train dominoes.

What about y'all? What games grab you? Is it more board games or card games? Which ones do you not like?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Around the Keith Walker household, Lord of the Rings Risk is the favorite. All of the time, Dad, Mom, and Lauri are begging me to play, but I have to tell them that we need to try new things.
I have yet to try Bang!, but it sounds like fun. We played some good old fashioned Uno recently.

SuzieQ said...

Our favorite by far is Apples to Apples!!!

Anonymous said...

Pit is crazy when you play it with my family. We often end up with some form of injury. We play catch phrase. It is a good game that you can just pass around wherever you are (ie car, at home on the couch, train,)
Spit is a good one too.

Sam said...

Mexican Train is a lot of fun for us old ones