Monday, January 23, 2017

Post-Inaugural Inanity

The inaugural comments were not mine, but the inanity you usually encounter here definitely is. Let's start first with a couple of things Trump said in his inaugural address...

"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th, 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again." I know we are all hopeful that we see a country we are all happy and thankful to be part of.

"Together, we will make America strong again. We will make America wealthy again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. And yes, together we will make America great again." I am less confident what will change to make there statements true, but all I can do is lift up our country and leaders in prayer.

On CBS Sunday Morning, I was reminded of comments from a couple of other inaugural addresses.

Of course, one of the most famous sentences of an inaugural address comes from John F Kennedy. "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." You've got to admit that is an uplifting and stirring sentiment.

How about Abraham Lincoln? "On the occasion corresponding to this, four years ago, all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, insurgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war, seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came." Who knows? It could have been quite a while before his opponents realized he had just slammed them big-time.

In case you were wondering, no, I did not watch the speech live. I read his comments later. I didn't go to JFK's or Lincoln's either.

In a related vein, how would you like to see Obama's farewell address songified? You can stop halfway through if you want since you will have seen the repeated 'chorus' a couple of times.












I've got to agree with the creator of this next photo. Now, I cannot see anything else.



















I would NOT like to come across this at my house, either.



















As I type this, I have just finished watching the NFC and AFC Championship games. It seems Atlanta will take on New England. I will be pulling for the Falcons.

With the games over for today, CBS is airing a new program, Hunted, about a games in which people are trying to evade others hunting them. So, they have to stay off the grid for 28 days. If they can do so, they win $250,000. Could you do it? On the show, they are alerting us to how many cameras see us all day every day. I don't think I would make it. I cannot imagine any of them will.


No comments: