Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sit Down and Finish Your Test

Oh, sorry. I substituted for a fourth grade teacher yesterday and am still in that mode. It was fun...kinda. I just got a call to substitute for the same teacher this afternoon. Hello. Of course. Finally, I'm getting a paycheck...kinda.

Other job search notes: a company might hire me on a temporary contract to update their SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) relative to IT. Another company, PetSmart, interviewed me last night over the phone (during King of Queens! Lucky for them I have a DVR) for an application I sent in over a month ago.

Sunday's sermon was about how God is in control even when we are clueless. 2 Kings 6:8-12 talks about God using the wisdom of others and we didn't have a clue. Vv 13-23 shows God surrounded us with His mighty warriors and we didn't have a clue. Judges 7:1-22 demonstrates that God took away our props so we had the opportunity to experience His power. He protected us from our own naive decisions in 2 Chron 18:1-34. And each of us has our own examples of blessings that came from God's hand and we didn't have a clue.

Whew! I got preachy. Sorry. Let me end with some of Abraham Lincoln's proclamation of Thanksgiving. "The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.... They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens...."

Amen. Have a great Thanksgiving.

(I reserve the right to add another post before then...if I want to.)

3 comments:

Brenda Walker said...

That is a great quote, although it brings about a sense of sadness due to our great nations ever present digression away from such Godly principles. Thanks for the quote though, it's great to realize once again that God was a part of this nation when it was founded! In God we trust!

Oh yeah, Brenda and I love King of Queens, I am still woking on the video output from my computer to my tv so that I can get my Eye Tv set up to run as my dvr.

Katie80 said...

I love King of Queens. And God. And Thanksgiving. And America. And I liked fourth grade, too.
I bet you're a fun substitute! Congrats on finding a few days of work!

Mimi and Poppy said...

I am thankful for your job -- sort of. I am thankful for your interviews. I am most of all thankful for the grace of God on us every day, every minute, every second. President Lincoln understood. We are truly nothing, not even alive, without His grace.
Grace to you brother.